The organized training of technical pedagogues has been going on for nearly 125 years with shorter breaks.
- Between 1870 and 1894 the Institute of Teacher Training is established in the Joseph Polytechnic, the legal predecessor of the Technical University (Head: József Stoczek)
- Between 1934 and 1948 the Institute of Pedagogy is established at the Palatine Joseph University of Technology and Economics (Head: Sándor Imre)
- In 1961 the Department of Pedagogy is established at Budapest University of Technology (Head of department: Gyula Bízó)
- In 1971 the Department is reorganized into the Institute of Teacher Training and Pedagogy (Director: József Fekete)
- In 1995 the Departments become independent and the Department of Technical Education provides training for technical teachers (Head of department: Elemér Biszterszky)
- From 2005 until 2017 the Department continues its activity within the framework of the Institute of Applied Pedagogy and Psychology (Head of department and institute: dr. András Benedek, dr. Ildikó Takács)
- Since 2018 the Deraprtment is independent.